I am a bit old fashioned, in that, I still like my paper Bible. As a church pastor, I occasionally ask folks to hold up their Bibles. More and more folks are turning to electronic versions of their Bibles. IPhones and Droids are becoming the tool of choice for Bible reading.
Because folks are accessing the web for Bible reading, this has allowed for keeping stats on which Bible books are read. The number of hits on a book, chapter, or scripture are tracked and we are left with some really interesting data. Interesting sociological points can be gleaned from this information. However, that is not the point of this post. Rather, I am just going to jot down a few of the highlights which interested me.
First, YouVersion has topped over 100 million members. That is pretty cool.
Here are the books accessed most and the highest viewed scripture in each:
1. Psalms ( you could have guessed that one) 74,044,741 views and its most popular verse is Psalm 37:4 “Delight yourself in the Lord; and he will give you the desires of your heart.”
2. Matthew 44,986,813 views and its most popular verse is Matt 6:33 “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”
3. Proverbs 43,288,764 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.” Prov. 3:5
4. Romans 32,569,657 “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind.” Romans 12:25
5. John 29,571,356 (any guesses here, I am not even going to write it out?!)
6. Luke 26,355,373 ”Give, and it will be given to you, Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” Luke 6:38
7. Ephesians 22,736,846 “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” Eph 4:32
8. 1Corinthians 20,392,129 “Love is patient, and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant.” 1 Cor 13:4
9. Isaiah 20,205,218 “But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” Is 40:31
10. Lastly, Genesis 19,055,482 ”Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” Gen 2:24
Interesting stuff. Can you interpret anything out of this?
How does this list compare to your most read books or favorite verses? Have you navigated away from a paper Bible to an electronic version? How has that helped you in your Bible study or scriptural acumen?